May 4-7, 2017 we will gather for a very fun and interesting weekend with our Icelandic friends and cousins to celebrate our Icelandic Heritage and Culture. Come on our Adventure Tour, Visit with others excited about our Icelandic heritage.
Click here to register if you live in the US or Canada! (Instructions are below)
- Once on the event page, choose event – Icelandic National League of North America.
- Enter username Iceland and password North Dakota.
- Mobile Users: Click on the link above. From the Mobile Site, Scroll down to the bottom. Click on ‘Full Site’. Go back to original link to register and click it again to register. (Thanks to Verónika from the Washington, DC Club for the mobile tutorial).
Questions about registration contact Jolene at email@example.com
Hotels and Conference Venue: CanadInn of Grand Forks, Expressway Suites, and the Alerus Center.
Rooms are available now for booking at both locations.
Standard rooms are $99 May 3 and 4, $139 May 5 and 6. 201 superior guest rooms, also available with suites, and our Penthouse on Main business suites. We offer three diverse restaurants, a two-level gaming lounge, free high-speed internet, and inside access to the Alerus Center. Plus for the “children in all of us” our 40,000 square foot Splasher’s of the South Seas Indoor Waterpark and Garbonzo’s Pizza and Arcade.
The Expressway Suites:
$75 for Mon – Thurs., $95 for Fri., Sat. & Sun. nights. They are just down the street to the northeast of the Alerus Center and about a 4 minute walk. They offer a lower cost room but actually have spacious, beautifully appointed suites offering more living space than the standard hotel room. All are equipped with free high-speed Internet, refrigerators, microwaves and coffee makers. Additional “just like home” comforts. Start each day with their complimentary hot breakfast and Monday – Thursday night is a free dinner featuring a light entree and 2 complimentary drinks with a variety of beer and wine to choose from. Hours: Mon-Thurs 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Free transfer service from the Grand Forks Airport (must be pre-arranged). This block of room expires 4/4/2017.
Airline Information: http://gfkairport.com/ is the website for the Grand Forks Airport. It is 6.4 miles (10 minutes) from the Alerus Center and the hotels.
Thursday, May 4th in Grand Forks at the Alerus Center
- 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. Registration, packets, name tags, INLNA Calendar Distribution
- 6:30-12:00 p.m. Meet and Greet with hors d’oeuvres and cash bar
- 7:30 p.m. Brief welcome to the Convention with greetings from the ICA:
- Convention Chair – Jolene Halldorson-Ullyott
- ICA President – Curtis Olafson
- Honorary Consul from Iceland to North Dakota – Loretta Bernhoft
- INLNA President – Sunna Olafson Furstenau
- Welcome to Grand Forks from Mayor Dr. Michael Brown
Friday, May 5th in northeast North Dakota and in Grand Forks
Expressway Suites has free breakfast
A “To-Go” Breakfast will be available for others
VIKING VOYAGE — TOUR PART OF THE ICELANDIC SETTLEMENT AREA
CONNECT TO THE PEOPLE, THE PLACES, THE HISTORY
- 8 a.m. Buses leave Grand Forks to bring Icelanders (and Iceland enthusiasts) to northeast North Dakota. Instead of sitting in a lecture hall all day, we are bringing you on a adventure voyage to the Icelandic Community and Settlement area. Experts will be on each bus to outline the day and present information.
- See the Icelandic Community, highlights, terrain, and learn about the Icelanders of northeast North Dakota. Meet the people who live there. Interact. Connect. Put together the pieces of our shared Icelandic Story.
- Lunch with Icelandic goodies at the Mountain Community Center furnished by the Icelandic Communities Association
- Continue with the voyage in the afternoon with coffee at the Pembina County Historical Museum and/or the Gardar Church
- Return to Grand Forks by 5 p.m
Dinner on your own.
7:00 p.m Award Recipients and Presenters arrive in Conference Area for corsages and seating
7:30 p.m. Awards and Opening Ceremony by the INLNA
- MCs are Brad Hirst and Bev Arason-Gaudet (1st and 2nd VP of INLNA)
- Sing 3 National Anthems
- Message from INLNA President – Sunna Olafson Furstenau
- Greetings from INL Iceland President – Halldór Árnason
- Greetings from new INL Iceland President – TBA
- Signing of Cooperation Agreement between INLNA and INL Iceland
- Retirement of the INLNA Quilt and New Banner Project Intro
- Convention Registration Awards
- Brittney Gratton (Grand Forks)
- Ashlin Nelson (Austin, Texas)
- Honorary Lifetime Membership Awards
- Loretta Bernhoft
- Kristjanna and Odinn Helgason
- Nina Svavarsdóttir Tryggvason Jobin
- Karen Johannsson
- John H Johnson
- Ron Johnson
- Susan Sigurdson Powers
- Heather and Johann Schreiner
- Joan Eyjolfson Cadam Award in Literature
- Award Winner
- Laurence S. G. Johnson Lifetime Achievement Award
- Gail Einarson-McCleery
hors d’oeuvres, drinks, and a cash bar. Wear your Icelandic National Costume tonight or come as you are. This is an INLNA sponsored event – Program by INLNA along with ICA
- Downtown Horns will play – Rock and Roll, Country, and Rhythm and Blues with one of the most popular dance bands around, this 9-piece group will entertain you with their vocals and horns.
Saturday, May 6th in Grand Forks
Breakfast 7-9 – Jeanette
Vendors – Jana
- set up before 7 am and open from 8 – 4:30 p.m.
- We have space for over 20 vendors. Contact Jana if you have an idea or want to be a vendor.
Annual General Meeting (AGM) of INLNA. Registration 8:30, Meeting at 9 – 10:30 – Sunna/INLNA
- Photos of 2017 / 2018 INLNA Board of Directors
- Photos of Member Club Presidents / Representatives
Coffee provided in morning
11 am – 12:15 Buffet Lunch served at the Alerus Center by the ICA – Jeanette
Afternoon Speakers and Presentations.
12:30 p.m. Start Time – 4 p.m.:
- Puzzle Connecting the Pieces Award – Jolene with photos, awards, and people coming up for this award …. At least 15 minutes.
- K.N. Julius Connections between Thingvalla Township, North Dakota and Akureyri, Iceland. A famous poet born in Iceland and came to North Dakota where he was honored and loved. Learn the story of K. N. Find out more about our shared Icelandic story and how the town of Akureyri is making a replica monument to K.N.
- Þjóðminjasafn — Margrét Hallgrímsdóttir from the National Museum of Iceland presents her amazing finished masterpiece book and shares a presentation about her work with the National Museum
- Kyja Kristjansson Nelson, Moorhead State University’s Professor of the Year presents modern Cinematography of Iceland
COFFEE BREAK – 15 Minutes
- Gold On Ice Presentation by Hilmar Ragnarsson and Anita Briem – The historic Team that won the first ever Olympic Gold Medal in Ice Hockey for Canada in the 1920 Olympics held in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Markland and North Dakota Connections by the Nova Scotia group and their project to preserve the story of our shared ancestors in Nova Scotia. 40 minute movie and a short presentation
- Snorri West Program presentation
- Snorri Program presentation
- Icelandic Camp presentation
Celebrate ‘Connecting the Pieces’ Gala Banquet – 6:30 pm Cash Bar begins. 7 pm Gala Banquet begins at the Alerus Center by the ICA
- Plated Banquet Meal, Wear your Icelandic National Costume tonight or come as you are.
- Einar to play during the Gala Banquet 2-3 songs with Kathie accompany
- Robert Olgeirson and Kathy Sigurdson Thorlakson — poetry
- Silent Auction — Yes … Bring your Credit Cards, Checks, or Cash — all will work to buy some fun and interesting items. We can also ship them to you if you are flying home.
- Live Auction — Hold on to your hats! A North Dakota Icelander, Dennis Biliske, with many awards as an auctioneer
Hand off to Edmonton for the 2018 Convention – Jolene
Live Auction – Dennis Biliske
- More info on the puzzle game: Puzzle Connecting the Pieces Award – Jolene and Dori
- In each person´s Welcome Packet given out on Thursday night will be ONE piece of a puzzle
- Over the weekend, people need to find the other 8 people with pieces that match their puzzle. All 9 people plus their puzzle pieces need to come forward and they will be given an award.
- The group should have their photo taken together – a good memory for them. They can access the photo online for free.
Dance with Brothers Jukebox – Jolene
- Brothers, Jason and Joe Carrier, grew up in Northeastern ND in the rural community of Milton and currently live in Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN respectively. They have been singing together for over 20 years at bars, casinos, wedding dances, company parties and events of all types. They sing country, classic rock, Elvis, Sinatra, and even a little yodeling! Their slogan is: “We’re not exactly a band, we’re a blast!”
Sunday, May 7th in Grand Forks – CanadInn Upstairs above the Lobby
- 8-9 am – Light breakfast provided by Icelandic Roots
- 9 – 9:20 am – Presentation by IR and meet the genealogists
- 9:20 am – 11:50 am – Free Workshop on finding your living cousins, your ancestors, Timeline of Events, Famous People connections, etc.
- Bring your laptop, smart phone, iPad, or tablet. Free Wi-Fi available. Or just find out more about the ‘Cousins Across the Ocean’ project and the IR non-profit mission.
- Free access to the Icelandic Roots Database with many of the IR Genealogy Team available to assist attendees.